Use Media Servers and CDNs, with WS.WebTV, for Live and VOD video streaming playback
WebTV, ws.webtv, extensions, streamclip, streaming, wowza, fms, red5, cloudfront, rtmp, hls, rtsp, mpeg, dash
This extension allows you to use Media Servers1 and CDNs, with WS.WebTV, for Live and VOD video streaming playback (including HTML5 streaming playback support with HLS and MPEG-DASH). Additionally, it allows you to playback video files stored on any5 server or cloud storage service.
Consists of two components: StreamClip VOD and StreamClip Live.
Through this extension, WS.WebTV is compatible with most CDNs (Content Delivery Network), furthermore, it adds the capability to connect with streaming servers for playback of either video files or live broadcasts, using RTMP/HTTP sources. You can even include progressive and streaming video files (from different servers) as well as live broadcasts into the same Channel's playlist!.
Generally speaking, this extension allows WS.WebTV to connect with streaming media servers (Wowza, Adobe Media Server, etc.), for video playback, using the following methods:
• Progressive Download/Pseudo Streaming through HTTP / HTTPS. Formats: MP4 (H.264 + AAC) and WebM.
• HTTP Streaming/HLS3 .m3u8 (VOD/Live) through HTTP / HTTPS. Format: H.264 + AAC. When the Web Browser does not support HLS natively, WS.WebTV will use the hls.js library by Dailymotion in order to playback the stream (adaptive multi-bitrate streaming supported).
• HTTP Streaming/MPEG-DASH9 .mpd (VOD/Live, Multi-Bitrate/Adaptive) - Powered by Dash-Industry-Forum dash.js.
• Progressive Download through HTTP / HTTPS. Formats: FLV (VP6 + AAC/MP3), MP4 (H.264 + AAC/MP3).
• Pseudo Streaming through HTTP / HTTPS by using free third party plugin7 (requires Apache server with mod7).
• RTMP Streaming (VOD) through HTTP (HDS-VOD2) / RTMP / RTMPT / RTMPE. Formats: FLV (VP6 + AAC/MP3) and MP4 (H.264 + AAC/MP3).
• RTMP Streaming (Live) through HTTP (HDS-LIVE2) / RTMP / RTMPT / RTMPE. Formats: FLV (VP6 + AAC/MP3) and MP4 (H.264 + AAC/MP3).
• HTTP Streaming/HLS .m3u8 (VOD/Live) by using free third party plugins6.
• Adaptive Multi-Bitrate Streaming9 through F4M manifest and HTTP Streaming (HLS)6.
• Legacy Android/BlackBerry Live Streaming (live broadcasts) through RTSP clickable link. Format: H.264+AAC.
Content protection features
• Amazon CloudFront Signed URL generation:4 To protect your video on demand files, served from Amazon S3+CloudFront.
• Support for External URL Tokenizer Script:8 If your CDN/Media Server supports content protection through URL with tokens (like WMS Panel Hot-linking protection, etc.), this will allow you to develop your own script to tokenize the URLs of the video files and streams. More info (tutorial).
1 Tested with Adobe Media Server, Wowza Media Server and Red5 Media Server. Red5 tests were not thorough. Red5 version used for testing: 1.0RC1.
2 HTTP Streaming (HDS-VOD and HDS-Live) has been tested with Adobe Flash Media Server 4.5
3 For native HLS playback, device and Web Browser must support HLS (WS.WebTV 1.5+ is required). Since WS.WebTV 2.1, if the Web Browser does not support HLS natively, the hls.js library by Dailymotion will be used to playback the stream; in this case, the Web Browser must support "Media Source" extensions.
4 Since WS.WebTV 1.5.1. Advanced User Management extension is required; additionally, the PHP OpenSSL extension must be enabled in your server.
5 As long as the files are accessible through public and static URLs. Please note that it is also possible to playback files from Vimeo Pro by using the URLs provided by the service.
6 [Bonus] - Since version 1.7.5 - Compatible with free OSMF plugins, for HLS playback, developed by "mangui" and "DENIVIP Media". Please note that HLS is not a native Flash streaming technology, because of this we always recommend to use RTMP instead of HLS. Additionally, since the plugins that enable HLS playback in Flash have been developed by third parties, we don't offer technical support for them.
7 [Bonus] - Since version 1.7.5 - Compatible with free OSMF plugin, for Pseudo Streaming playback, developed by "mexxik" - Note that H264 Streaming Module for Apache (mod_h264_streaming) is also required.
8 Since WS.WebTV 1.7.5. Advanced User Management extension is required.
9 Since WS.WebTV 1.9.