Creating/Editing Video Channels in WS.WebTV
support, ws.webtv, home, contents, channels, video, create, edit
1. Goto to Channels & Pages...
2. Once on Channels & Pages...
(A) To create a Video Channel click on "New..." button and select "Video Channel".
(B) To edit an existing Video Channel click the corresponding "pencil" icon.
3. The Properties Tab...
On the Properties tab is where you enter the basic Channel information:
• Title: Enter a descriptive Channel name, as short as possible. The title will be used on the menus.
• Slug: This is for friendly URLs. You can leave this field blank and the system will generate it automatically when saving.
• Description: Include any relevant and detailed information about the Channel. You can use HTML if you wish.
• Abstract/SEO Description: This description will be used for SEO and as excerpt when listing the Channel on search result pages.
• Tags/Keywords: Write some representative keywords for your Channel (comma-separated).
• Image: Supply an image (16:9) to use as thumbnail.
Drag and Drop Tip:
If you are using recent versions of Chrome/Safari, Firefox or Opera, you can drag and drop your image file to the image field. • Include in Auto-Menu: Whether to include the Channel in any of the WebTV's auto-menus.
• Template: Select one among the avilable templates for the Channel (if any). WS.WebTV can handle multiple templates for Channels.
"Default". The panoramic, default, template.
» Default template example
"WS.Tube". Smaller video player, full sidebar (available only on WS.WebTV Professional 1.1.1+ ).
» WS.Tube template example
"Player only". (Intended for Channels with time synced playlists) Like the default template but without the video browser ("featurd", "by date", "most viewed", "top rated"... tabs) - Available since WS.WebTV 1.6+ .
"Player only + Program Guide". (*ONLY* valid for Channels with time synced playlists) This template will display the list of Clips (current and coming) of the playlist (with the corresponding start time) - Available since WS.WebTV 2.0+ .
"Player only + Multi-Program Guide". (*ONLY* valid for Channels with time synced playlists) This template will display a grid (like a TV EPG) with the list of Clips (aligned at the current time) from all Channels with time synced playlists - Available only for "V2" Theme, since WS.WebTV 220.127.116.11+ .
• Display Info: To show or hide the Channel bar which contains the Channel information.
• Socialize: Whether to show the socialization options for the Channel.
4. The Playlist Tab...
On the Playlist tab is where you edit the playlist of the video Channel:
• Playlist sorting: You can choose one of the following options:
"Custom: Ordered": You will be able to sort out the playlist, as you wish, with drag-and-drop.
"Auto: Randomized": The system will generate a random playlist every time a user visits the WebTV.
"Auto: By Date": The system will sort out the playlist according to the Clips' date (latest first).
• Force playlist reload on change: When this option is enabled, every thime the Channel is modified, the video player (as soon as it detects the change) will stop playing back and will reload the playlist (this will happen a few seconds after the modification is performed).
• Time Synced (Fake Live): Option available only if "Custom" sorting is selected. This functionality will allow you to simulate a TV Channel behavior. If the playlist is synced with time, when an User visits the WebTV, the playback will start with the corresponding Clip according to the current time of the day.
For more info read the following tutorial.
• Clips "visitable" property: This option can be used to modify the "visitable" property for all the Clips in the playlist. Clips "not visitable" won't be accessible through their URLs (and won't appear in the WebTV searches or Clip lists), they will only be playable in a Channel.
• Available Clips: The list of all available Clips on the WebTV (if any). If you are using the "Advanced User Management" extension, the Clip list will only display the content created by the current logged user (if the user is a non-Admin/Webmaster user...).
• Playlist: The Channel's playlist... To add/remove Clips use the centered buttons. If the Playlist Sorting is set to "Custom" then the "Sort Out" button will be displayed and it will allow you to sort out the Clips on the Playlist, with drag and drop.
Create playlists of a reasonable size. A playlist with many hundreds of Clips could be slow to generate and may increase the server load considerably (at generation time).
We strongly discourage you from creating playlists with thousands of Clips
5. Done editing...
Once you are done editing the Channel, click the Save button.
6. Activating a new Channel...
New Channels are inactive by default. In order to activate the Channel, return to the Channel list and click the "gray light bulb" icon (it will turn to yellow when active).