Creating Interactivities on Clips and Video Ads in WS.WebTV Professional
support, ws.webtv, home, contents, clips, ads, interactivity, vast
Interactivities are clickable banners that are overlaid during Clip playback. Useful to show publicity over Clips or to link Clips with other Websites, online stores, etc. You can specify as many as you want (per Clip).
Interactivities can contain text or (optionally, through ClipInteractivity+ extension) images or VAST ads.
A note regarding the use of Interactivitites with YouTube EmbedClips: According to the Google/YouTube terms and conditions, you must not overlay elements in front of the YouTube video player; in this regard, you shall not use Interactivities with YouTube direct playback EmbedClips.
Example 1 (Interactivity with text content and not closable):
Example 2 (ClipInteractivity+ with a VAST Ad and closable):
1. Goto to the Clips or Ads page and edit the desired Clip/Ad...
2. Go to the Interactivity Tab...
3. Click the "New Interactivity" button.
A new interactivity will be added...
If Timing is "Absolute" you will see this:
If Timing is "Relative" you will see this:
You can change timing anytime "Relative" vs "Absolute" timing:
When "Absolute" timing is selected, you will need to specify the Start and End time for the Interactivity; those times are synced to the video time and you will have precise control as to when the Interactivity appears and disappears over the video.
When "Relative" timing is selected, you specify the duration, time between interactivities, start delay, etc.; and the system will take care of the rest. This option is great for use on live broadcasts. Additionally, you will be able to specify the random option if you want the Interactivities to have a different order every the video is played back.
Absolute Timing Settings
• Start/End: (Synced to the video time). Start: The time when the Interactivity will be displayed. End: The time when the Interactivity will be hidden.
Relative Timing Settings
• Start Deleay: The time (in seconds) it will take for the first Interactivity to appear.
• Time Between Interactivities: The "spacing" (in seconds) for the Interactivities.
• Random: No: If you want to use the specified appearance order for the Interactivities. Yes: If you want the system sort them out randomly (every time a video is watched the order will change).
• Duration: The time (in seconds) during which the Interactivity will be visible.
NOTE: When Relative timing is used, Intearctivities will be "looped".
• Width / Height: The size (in pixels) of the Interactivity. If you leave these values set to 0, the system will use the default values (400x45 pixels).
• Content: Enter the text of your link. Example: "Click here to purchase on our online store!"
• Link (URL): This is the URL that will open when the Interactivity is clicked.
• Closable: (Since WS.WebTV 1.8.5) Select whether the Interactivity can be closed by the viewer or not. When it is "closable" a button with an "X" will appear at the top-right of the Interactivity.
ClipInteractivity+ (VAST + banner images)
If your WebTV has the ClipInteractivity+ extension, then you can display VAST NonLinear Ads (overlays) or banner images.
On the content field, enter the VAST Tag URL with the "[vast]" prefix. Example:
You can supply several fallback URLs, separated with commas (in order to increase the fill rate). Example:
- The "Link (URL)" field will be ignored when using VAST because the clickthrough URL is specified in the feed.
- When using VAST, the duration of an Interactivity will be determined by the VAST "minSuggestedDuration" setting or (when the setting is not specified in the VAST feed) according to the Interactivity duration.
- WS.WebTV 1.8.5 is required in order to use VAST.
» Banner images
On the content field, enter the absolute URL of the image file (JPG, GIF or PNG).
Note regarding images hosted on external servers or CDN: If the image is served from a server which is different than the one that hosts the WebTV (or from a CDN) then the server must have a crossdomain.xml file properly set, allowing the resource sharing; additionally, the resources (images) must be served using CORS headers allowing GET requests.
NOTE: You can not use text and image, at the same time, in the same Interactivity.
4. Adding more Interactivities
Just repeat the previous step as many times as you wish...
5. Done editing...
Once you are done click the Save button.
These Interactivities are defined globally and get inserted into all WebTV Clips (not on Ads) which do not have any
Interactivity defined. This is very useful to add publicity to all WebTV Clips.
Unlike Clip Interactivities, the global ones always use relative timing (see explanation above).
In order to add Global Interactivities, go to Configuration > Interactivities:
• Clip Probability (%): The probability of appearing in a Clip. For example: A 50% probability would imply that approx. half the Clips played back will show Global Interactivities, the other half will not show any.
• Start Delay (secs.): The time (in seconds) it will take for the first Interactivity to appear.
• Time Between Interactivities (secs.): The "spacing" (in seconds) for the Interactivities.
» Rel. Position: The position of the list will be used (you can sort the Interactivities using drag and drop).
» Random: The Interactivities will be randomized.
» Views (less viewed first): The lest viewed Interactivities will appear fisrt.
...The procedure to add Global Interactivities is the same as adding Clip Interactivities (click "New Interactivity" and set the options).