Creating/Editing Clips in WS.WebTV
support, ws.webtv, home, contents, clips, standard, create, edit
1. Goto to the Clips page...
2. Once on the Clip list...
(A) To create a Standard Clip click on "New Clip..." button and select "Standard".
(B) To edit an existing Clip click the corresponding "pencil" icon.
3. Creating the Clip...
- WS.WebTV 2.1+:
When creating a Clip you will only be asked to enter the title first. ...After entering it, click Continue and you will see all available tabs and options.
- WS.WebTV versions 2.0 and older:
If you are creating a new Clip you will only see the Properties tab, after you have entered the basic information, click the Continue button to Save the Clip. After the Clip is saved, you will find the rest of the tabs and options and you will be able to upload the corresponding video files and associate the Clip to Channels and Categories. TIP: You can click Continue without entering any information.
4. The Properties Tab...
On the Properties tab is where you enter the basic Clip information:
• Title: Enter a descriptive Clip title.
• Slug: This is for friendly URLs. You can leave this field blank and the system will generate it automatically when saving.
• Description: Include any relevant and detailed information about the Clip. You can use HTML if you wish.
• SEO Description: This description will be used for SEO and as excerpt when listing the Clip on search result pages.
• Tags/Keywords: Write some representative keywords for your Channel (comma-separated). NOTE: they will be used in the tag cloud generation.
• Image: Supply an image (16:9) to use as thumbnail.
Drag and Drop Tip:
If you are using recent versions of Chrome/Safari, Firefox or Opera, you can drag and drop your image file to the image field. Sample image file
On the WS.WebTV distribution package, there is a folder named "support_files" inside that folder you will find a sample image file.
You can use the sample image, temporarily, to complete this tutorial.
• Sprite (Image) / Sprite (VTT): More information here...
• Aspect: Select the aspect ratio of the Clip (4:3, 16:9, etc.).
• 360º: Select Yes if it is a 360º Clip. More info regarding 360º video support.
• 3D: Select Yes if it is a 3D Clip. In case of being a "flat"/normal Clip, "LR" is the only selectable option; in case of being a 360º Clip, "LR" and "TB" options are available. More info regarding (flat) 3D video support, more info regarding 360º (2D/3D) video support.
NOTE: The 360º and 3D options do not apply in the case of EmbedClips (optional extension).
• Allow Skipping: To select whether the Clip can be skipped (by using the previous/next buttons) or not. If it is allowed to skip, you can specify the amount in seconds that Users need to wait before the skip buttons are enabled.
All Clips are skippable when previewed from the Back-End. In order to see the effect of the "Allow Skipping" option, visit the WebTV from the Front-End (by clicking the "Visit" button located next to the WebTV title, at the top of the page). • Socialize: To enable/disable the social sharing options for this Clip.
• Allow Comments: To enable/disable comments for the Clip.
• Template: Select the desired template (layout) for the page that will be displayed when the Clip is visited through its URL.
• Duration: Approximate duration of the video (for informative purpose only).
5. Channels, Categories and Media (files) tabs
The "Channels" tab...
In this tab you can include the Clip into a Channel's playlist. You can also do this by editing the desired Channel (on the Playlist Tab); check the Video Channel tutorial for more info.
The "Categories" tab...
In this tab you can associate the Clip to one o several Categories. You can also do this by editing the desired Category (on the Clips Tab); check the Category tutorial for more info.
The "Media" tab...
From this tab you will be able to upload the corresponding video files. As you can see, there is a slot per each WebTV Quality. For more info about Qualities, check the "Configuration: Video" tutorial.
Drag and Drop Tip:
If you are using recent versions of Chrome/Safari, Firefox or Opera, you can drag and drop your video files to the "Browse and Upload" button. Sample files
On the WS.WebTV distribution package, there is a folder named "support_files" inside that folder, you will find the sample video files.
Upload the "xxxxx_700kbps.mp4" file into the Normal Quality slot and the "xxxxx_1250kbps.mp4" into the HQ one. After downloads are complete you will see the following screen:
Warning: Do not use special characters in file names.
Use, preferably, letters (a-z) and numbers (0-9). Some characters like "-" and "_" can be used.
Can I upload the file corresponding to only one of the available Qualities?
Of course you can. If, for some reason, you just want to upload the file for a single quality, you can leave the other field(s) blank.
Allowing video file download... (since WS.WebTV 22.214.171.124)
If you want to allow your WebTV vivistors to download (through a "Download" button) the video files for the Clip, select the appropriate option. Keep in mind that files associated to Qualities which use streaming URLs will not be displayed.
"Always": The "Show Download Menu" option is applied always.
"Depending on purchase": (Store extension) The "Show Download Menu" option is only applied if the Clip access has been purchased.
• Show Download Menu:
"No": Does not display the "Download" button.
"Yes, WebTV Files": Only display the files uploaded to the WebTV.
"Yes, WebTV Files + Other Files": Display the files uploaded to the WebTV + Other files provided in the "Other Files" text area.
"Yes, Other Files": Only display the files provided in the "Other Files" text area.
• Other Files: Enter the URLs to other files you want your WebTV visitors to be able to download. You have two options:
1. Provide only URLs: Enter a single URL per line, the system will display the name of the file.
2. Provide a labels + URLs: To do this simple enter the label name followed by three dashes: Label---URL (one entry per line...).
In any case, URLs must start with http:// or https://.
Note: Not allowing video download does not prevent experienced Users from downloading your files, by using specialized/"hacking" tools.
Advanced properties... (since WS.WebTV 1.6)
When editing a Clip, the "Advanced" section will appear in the Properties tab.
• Clip type: Allows you to change the Clip type whithout needing to delete it and re-create it.
• Visitable: Whether a Clip can be visited using its URL or not (in this last case, it will only playback in a Channel).
• Searchable: Whether a Clip can be "found" in the WebTV (in searches, lists, widgets, RSS feeds, etc.) or not.
• Indexable (SEO): Whether to allow search engines indexing the Clip or not.
5. Done editing...
Once you are done editing the Clip, click the Save button.
6. Activating a new Clip...
New Clips are inactive by default. In order to activate the Clip, return to the Clip list and click the "gray light bulb" icon (it will turn to yellow when active).