About WS.WebTV integration with Google Analytics
support, ws.webtv, google, analytics, statistics
NOTE: WS.WebTV 126.96.36.199 is required as prior versions had a bug which prevented Google Analytics Events to be registered.
If you have included your Google Analytics tracking code into the WebTV configuration, you will be glad to know that WS.WebTV integrates with this statistic tool by registering Clips and Ads actions as Google Analytics Event Actions.
The following actions are registered for Clips and Ads:
• "Play": This is the same as "views"; this action is registered when a video started to play.
• "PlayComplete": This action is registered when a video has been played back until the end.
• "Play (Embed)": This action is registered when a video is played back from an embedded player.
• "InteractivityView": This action is registered when an Interactivity has been displayed. Additionally, the content of the interactivity is also registered as "Event Label".
• "InteractivityClick": This action is registered when an Interactivity has been clicked. Additionally, the content of the interactivity is also registered as "Event Label".
Viewing detailed Clip and Ad statistics on Google Analytics
Although you can get page view statistics from the URL of the videos, like you'd do to get any other page statistics, the better way to get detailed info for Clips and Ads is by goging to "Behavior" > "Events".
You will see that the Clip titles correspond to "Event Categories", this will allow you to easily apply filters to the statistics.
You can either click any of the Clip/Ad titles (on the Overview screen) for details or, if you want to browse/search for Clips/Ads, then click "Top Events":
This screen displays all Clips and Ads with the corresponding statistics. As you can see, it is very easy to search and apply filters (Primary/Secondary Dimension).
In order to view the actions associated with a Clip/Ad, click its title; a screen similar to the following will appear:
As you can see, the Clip/Ad title appears at the top as the "Event Category"; additionally, "Primary Dimension" is set as "Event Action"; this will display the related actions for the Clip/Ad.
Google Analytics is very powerful and allows you to get very detailed statistics by using filters. For example, if you want to view playback stats, by country, for a Clip ("Play" action), do the following (on the previous screen):
1. Click the "Play" action.
2. On the next screen:
2.1 Click "Other" on Primary Dimension and search for "action" (...select "Event Action").
2.2 Now click "Secondary Dimension" and search for "country" (...select "Country/Territory").
You will see something like this:
The previous is just an example of the endless possibilities to get statistical information. We encourage you to try yourself and familiarize with Google Analytics.
Our intention by making available this brief document was only to make you aware of the integration of this great statistics tool with WS.WebTV.